Thoughts on South African and international politics and culture

Thursday, July 13, 2006

SA in the G8?
Tony Blair has had an epiphany, which is to broaden the G8 into the G13 to accommodate emerging economies, including South Africa. This is a bold move from a prime minister focused on his legacy. I don't see it happening to be honest, I think that adding 5 countries from emerging economies into an eight-country negotiation tips the balances too much. I cannot see the incumbents allowing such a vote shift, and I think it unlikely. However, any representation on the G8 decision-making would be a step forward for emerging economies, and I would like to see some additions, perhaps China and India or perhaps Brazil. Although playing a large role in Africa, I think some of South Africa's foreign policy views (ties with Palestine, Iran and Iraq) may prove too hot too handle for the incumbents.

|