Thoughts on South African and international politics and culture

Friday, June 06, 2008

Some courage on the continent
Whilst Mugabe uses food as a weapon once more, at least there is some courage from African leadership. Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga yesterday attacked Mugabe and branded him as what he is: "a dictator".
"As a pan-Africanist, I think that I would be failing in my duty if I did not point out that what is happening in Zimbabwe is a big embarrassment to the entire continent of Africa.

"We cannot be speaking about democracy and democratisation of the continent when we condone what is happening in Zimbabwe."

At least we can expect a harder line from Zuma's type of blunt statesmanship. I often wonder if Thabo will look back in 10-15 years time with any regret on his Zimbabwe stance...

|