Thoughts on South African and international politics and culture

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Betraying Mbeki's trust
I sincerely hope that Thabo knows what he's doing with this one. In most modern societies, just having friends like he does would make Jackie Selebi persona non grata for a President's endorsement, but here we have Thabo sharing the stage with him and telling religious leaders to "trust him" in his handling of the Selebi matter.

I'm a little wary of commenting directly on Selebi's guilt or innocence, as I feel that there has been much speculation in the media, but little real fact to base an opinion on. Either way, I think it's incredibly dangerous for Mbeki to lay his presidential credibility on the line here, and I sincerely hope that this does not blow up in his face.

|